Thursday 3 March 2011

first blog!

i have followed my mums advice and started my very own blog! i am currently studying a degree in fine art, and not thinking much of it! lately i have been feeling very disappointed in the art i have seen, i am begining to get a very sour view in art, i am wondering why i  have chosen this as a career path, why am i putting my future in something that isnt motivating me? i have always been a very keen artist(admittidly not the most talented but always enjoyed it), but i now feel there is nothing new, i have no insperation at the moment. i think the final straw for me was going in to my 2d media class and being handed a breif to copy another piece of famous art, the tutor suggested we look at artists such as Piccasso, Monet, Van Gogh.... which set in stone all of my feelings!! why am i being told to copy others and not to find my own style?!?! after this huge let down i decided all thats left to do is try and motivate my self!! i am going to start by uploading some of my previous work, look at other peoples blogs and maybe rant on here to let out my frustration with the art world! maybe i wont be so angry with it all anymore!! so here goes with the uploads..

this is the first frontal view i have had of life drawing, not sure what i think of it yet, think i will try and take it further some how?
this is a pencil drawing of the kitchen, was very happy with it at the time, think i could improve it!!
i was very unhappy with this when i first drew it, but looking at it now, i am very happy with it, dont like her hair, but its easy to fix, i think she looks quite 3D, well done me i think
this was a photo that went wrong but i think it is quite interesting..
page from a sketch book..
another page from a sketch book, this is quite a personal piece for me, it is months of diary entrys jumbled up.

so after uploading a few pieces of my work and looking at it, i think i am very critical of my work, maybe its because the work i have done isnt exciting me?? so maybe before i change my view of the art world i need to change the work im doing! how can i moan at other work when mine is in the same league?? need to get jotting some ideas down i think!!


p.s. sorry for the rambling!!

7 comments:

  1. this is fantastic, Im so impressed good luck on your blog and I will make a mention in my next post. I have already put your name down for the art course. You make a very valid point and maybe people will be able to put you in the right direction and show you some interesting artists and styles. I also have some of your old work on the computer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is difficult to arrive at one's own style but the sure way is to keep drawing and keep practising. I think your side view nude is wonderful. Good luck with sorting out what you want to do... and good luck with the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this artwork is amazing...don't be too hard on yourself. Keep drawing and you will find your own direction...even copying famous artworks can spark off an idea that is yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are very talented! Try not to become so disenchanted so soon. you sound somehwat like your mum when she posted that she is worried that if she takes that art class they will teacher her how to draw! You may not agree with the way the teachers are "educating" you about art but they certainly cannot force you into a particular style. Unfortunately it sounds as if they are driving all the spark out of you! Keep trying to motivate yourself! That is a great plan, even though it may be a very difficult one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi, i've come over from your mum's blog - she left a nice comment on my blog :)
    i'm doing a drawing course with the OCA (started 4 months ago) and finding it quite hard to keep motivated... however, the best advice is to draw, draw, draw!!
    i agree with karen - i'm copying some favourites artists - just to learn how to make the marks on the page...
    i trust and believe my own style will emerge, but only if i keep at it :)
    the bods in blogland are wonderful supporters, so keep posting and sharing, and we'll keep cheering you on :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never had the opportunity to take art classes, once I found myself interested, except a drawing/painting class at night school. I think learning the basics and learning from famous artists' work might have helped me get where I am faster, but I can understand the frustration of wanting to follow one's own style instead of copying others'.
    You've done some nice work: I've never tackled life drawing so wow! well done!
    For me, it was painting every day for 5 years that took me from oils to watercolours, and finding my own voice, and being happy sometimes with the results.
    Keep creating, for in doing you'll find your path. You might be interested in checking out my Sunday Inspirations painting challenges on my blog. Maybe you'd like to do the challenge with me? It's a bit of fun and keeps me painting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to the bloggosphere! I found you via your mum's blog. It's good to be critical of your own work... in a way it will keep you getting better but you should never pay too much attention to how you feel about a peice; good or bad, just learn from it and know to keep trying no matter what. I'm a full time artist now but I didn't have an art education - I'd definitely rebel and do my own thing :)!!! I'm sure you'll re-find your inspiration... an artist can change the world more than a politician, heal more than a therapist, discover more than a scientist and yet have fun doing it too! I like your last diary piece best. I look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete